Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The Need For Focus

Please note that these are the ramblings of a piano teacher of 15 years. These words are merely my observations. They are not researched or proven facts.

I am a piano teacher. My subject IS piano. I do not teach Spanish or Algebra or scuba diving or quilt-making. I teach piano. The reason is teach piano is because my parents were wise enough to allow me the time to focus on piano. They did let me participate in other activities, such as church activities, skiing, sewing class, and a few other things here and there. But they were diligent in keeping my schedule open enough to devote much of my time to piano.

Piano is my thing. It is not everybody's thing. I realize that when I am teaching, many of my students will not desire to major in piano performance when they attend college. But there is a trend I notice in the lives of my students and many other children of today. They are OVERWHELMED with activities!! School is time consuming enough, but you add three different sports, one or two other musical endeavors, and just living life on top of school and what do you have?? Attention that is spread so thin, it will surely make it incredibly difficult for them to succeed and excel in the things they want to! I think there is sometimes a feeling of needing to keep up. That we ALL need to do ALL the things. But when it comes to refining the things we do, where is the time? I WISH I could practice my violin more, but I have to go to karate and then dance rehearsal. And then I have to come home at 8 and do homework until I pass out in my bed. Not only does this make me sad for the skill of violin, it makes me sad for the poor kid who doesn't get to be a kid, or know how it feels to achieve a great accomplishment in violin playing, (or insert other activity they wish to excel in)

Now, to keep this post from being a complete downer, I WILL say that kids these days are impressive! They work hard, they don't often complain about their busyness, and they are doing great things! But it's worth a thought or two when considering true achievement. Can they choose 1 or 2 things they really love and focus on those and allow their brain the room for that focus? My guess is there will be less hectic-ness, more peace of mind, more pride in achievement, and more joy in activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment